Thursday, February 3, 2011

02/03/2011

Hey everyone! Just wanted to update you on the recent happenings in Cancerland. Last week would have normally been chemo, but instead I just had the Herceptin treatment which i'll continue for 11 more cycles. While there I mentioned a nodule above my left breast that I had noticed in the last couple of weeks. My oncologist and surgeon both looked at the lump and then scheduled me for an ultrasound up on the hill at OHSU. Despite my worst fears coming up again, the ultrasound didn't find anything and the consensus was that the beebee-sized lump is just a mass of tissue from surgery. We are so relieved to know that it isn't a reoccurance!

Radiation started yesterday. I just finished with my second treatment about two hours ago. Things are going well so far. I have been putting Calendula cream and aloe vera on the radiated area twice a day. I'm not seeing any redness or irritation yet. Shane took me to Target last night to get some soft cotton tee shirts and some sweat pants to wear around the house after treatments. My appointments are in the afternoon, so I stop at the hospital on my way home from work around 4:30 each day to get treatment. The treatments only take about 10 minutes and I don't see or feel anything while getting "radiated".

I found out today from my Radiologist that i'm getting a "lighter" radiation for only 28 treatments because technically my stats don't qualify me for radiation and because she wants to ensure that the long term effects to my skin and reconstruction aren't as bad as they could be. I'm a little upset about this, firstly because I wasn't told that I would not be receiving the full strength treatment, but also because I think its important to hit this cancer with everything I can now. I didn't say anything to the radiation oncologist today when she told me about the treatment adjustment, but i'm probably going to call her tomorrow to talk about my options. At least having the conversation will help me sleep better at night!

We'll keep you updated as radiation continues!

All our love,
Shane & Heather

1 comment:

  1. I just want to say that your strength is a thing of beauty to everyone who sees. You were handed something that doesn't seem fair and yet you face it with strength. Awesome lady...awesome husband...when you don't feel strong hold each other and breathe. You are in my heart.

    ReplyDelete