Tuesday, May 10, 2011

05/10/2011




Things have been so busy in the past few weeks that I haven't had time to sit down and write a blog about everything thats been happening. The first of May I went to the NBCC conference in Washington DC. I got to spend some amazing time with family and also see some great sights in the DC area. One of the great things about the trip and specifically the conference was meeting amazing women who have battled this disease and so far, won!!! There were so many AMAZING survivors who warmed my heart and changed my outlook. I was able to meet Dr. Slamon and have my photo taken. I even shook his hand and thanked him for being the force behind the drug that could save my life and has already saved so many women.



I also learned about the prospect of ending breast cancer by 2020!! I could go into the explanations of how this could be achieved or what each of the workshops at the conference was about, but instead I think its best to link you here:




This is important - so please read and please take a part if you can in making this dream a reality!! on Tuesday of the conference we lobbied congress regarding the Department of Defense Budget for Breast Cancer Research and the need for our representatives to support this deadline and "The Accelerated End of Breast Cancer Act". It was such an amazing experience to walk the halls of Congress in Washington DC!

On a personal note, I am doing well; continuing Herceptin treatment and Tamoxifen. So far, i've had minimal side effects from the Tamoxifen. I should find out on Thursday if I am a good Metabolizer of Tamoxifen (historically associated with a better outcome). Keep your fingers crossed!

I also started taking regular courses again this term. Being in graduate school again has made me realize just how hard this journey had been on my intellect and just how badly chemotherapy has left me in a mental fog. I still find myself searching for words and responding with very surface answers to questions I should be able to think deeper about. Shane is helping me write my papers by going through each sentence word for word. I'm not sure what I would do without him! The doctors say the fog will lift with time. No one has yet to give me an amount of time. I plan to start reading more and playing memory games in order to hopefully re-activate my brain cells. Until then, oh well!! I hear ignorance is bliss!!


Much love,
Heather



No comments:

Post a Comment