Thursday, May 12, 2011

5/12/2011

Posting this a few days late as blogger has been down over the weekend:

Today i'm at OHSU all day getting my Herceptin infusion and meeting with Dr. Luoh for a checkup. Things look good, according to him. I only have one mugga scan left and as long as my ejaction fraction (sounds dirty doesn't it?) is still ok then i'm going to be getting the remaining Herceptin infusions. I should be done September 15th!!! After today i'll have one more fill with my PS on the 19th of May and then a check up with my surgeon on the 2nd of June. My exchange surgery will likely take place in late September, early October depending on how things go. These are both VERY busy times for work so i'll have to know exactly what my time out will look like prior to setting a surgery date. Dr. Luoh confirmed today that when we have my exchange surgery that my port can also be taken out at that time! This news makes me elated because even though logically I know I have been told that the port would come out, I had a fear that they were going to consider me high risk and make me keep the port in case of a re-occurance. The port has been my biggest point of concern since starting this process. When I was still meeting with the surgeon in Salem, my concern was greater about the port than the actual surgery. It wasn't until my oncologist told me that the port was removable did I finally start to breathe again. Since I original thought I would be spending the rest of my life with this little critter - the thought of it being gone in less than 5 months makes me giddy! This is the best photo and explanation of a port I have found. This photo is of the port actually accessed: http://www.flickr.com/photos/goellnitz/2391111652/ It doesn't look this scary all the time. :-)


The other good news is that after all my freaking out about Tamoxifen and my lack of side effects, Dr. Luoh confirmed that I am a "normal" metabolizer of Tamoxifen!! This means that I can have as few hot flashes as I want and still know that the Tamoxifen is working in my body! THANK GOD. Dr. Luoh had previously indicated that a lack of side effects typically is associated with Tamoxifen not working well. I have had next to no side effects and have been extremely concerned since my Estrogen positive status was 100%. This is good news!!! Yay!!!

Dr. Luoh also laughed at me today when I mentioned to him that I was having back pain and thought that it might be cancer in my spine. He doesn't seem to think this is the case.

Tomorrow is also my birthday. In my case, birthdays have become slightly odd since cancer. This is my first birthday since my diagnosis. Every time I think about having a birthday I hear those stupid American Cancer Society commercials about celebrating more birthdays. Usually they have some celebrity sing Happy Birthday and then post some hubub about "Helping people celebrate more birthdays". The first time I saw one of these commercials I cried , similar to how a child would cry after seeing the boogieman. I hate them and I wish they would take them off the air. I don't want more birthdays...I want ALL OF MY BIRTHDAYS. More birthdays is simply not good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment