Tuesday, October 4, 2011

10/04/2011

I am 4 days out from my reconstructive surgery today. Everything went well, although things are still settling so it’s hard to tell what the final product will look like. The scars are “re-opened” and look similar to how they did after my initial surgery. I also have a new scar where my port was removed. I’m hoping it will be less noticeable than the port itself.

It’s been hard to go through some of the similar physical limitations that I had last year in August. For most of the weekend, Shane has been helping me up, helping me bathe, and cooking/cleaning/waiting on me. I’m not sure what I would do without my amazing husband, but I do hate having to be babysat. Yesterday, my pain started to reduce slightly and I have been able to lift myself and move around the house pretty well. I still get tired easily, but for the most part I’m doing great.

We have a follow up with Dr. Thacker on October 13th, as well as an EKG and a meeting with the Clinical Trial coordinator at OHSU. I’m also supposed to call Dr. Thacker Thursday regarding whether or not I can return to work on Monday. I’m assuming she’ll have no problem with it. This Thursday we are also going to Eugene to meet Dr. Kaszor in person. Dr. Kaszor is our naturopathic oncologist who we have only met with via phone up unto this point. I’m excited to meet with her and talk about our next plan of action to avoid this cancer returning. Gotta hit it from all sides! ☺

On another note, Shane took me to see the movie 50/50 today. It’s definitely a movie I recommend, especially if you are a survivor. The acting is great and it’s pretty realistic, funny and heartbreaking. I definitely had moments of tears and moments of laughter, but that really reflects this journey pretty accurately anyway. I think this might be the last movie I watch for a while – I’ve been watching movies straight since Saturday morning (in between long naps of course) and am completely stir crazy! As soon as I have the energy to get out of the house and take my dogs for a walk, I’ll be there.

Wishing a speedy recovery to all my girls who are currently or recently went through surgery. So glad to be on the other side and workin’ with softer “pillows”!! ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment